This page displays information and examples I have built over the years and will continue to evolve over time focused on design thinking and exercises. I use this as a reference point for research in the design thinking category.
Design Thinking is a methodology used by designers to solve complex problems, and find desirable solutions for clients. A design mindset is not problem-focused, it's solution focused and action oriented towards creating a preferred future.
1. Design Thinking FOCUSES ON THE END USER
2. Design Thinking LEVERAGES COLLECTIVE EXPERTISE
3. Design Thinking EMPLOYS EMPATHY
4. Design Thinking TESTS AND TESTS AND TESTS
5. Design Thinking CREATES VALUE WHILE SOLVING REAL PROBLEMS
Design Thinking as a Strategy for Innovation
When design principles are applied to strategy and innovation the success rate for innovation dramatically improves. Design-led companies such as Apple, Coca-Cola, IBM, Nike, Procter & Gamble and Whirlpool have outperformed the S&P 500 over the past 10 years by an extraordinary 219%, according to a 2014 assessment by the Design Management Institute.